Last night I made Rachel Ray's Turkey and Stuffing Meatloaf with Cider Gravy. And... because I wanted to make things easier... we had instant mashed potatoes with it. Although, I did add some garlic to the potatoes for a bit of an creative edge ;)
The meatloaf was very easy to make, and as usual I nixed the onions. My KitchenAid version of the Slap Chop came in handy to cut all the apples and celery. I initially tried to cut them all by hand, but ended up nearly slicing the tip of my thumb off. Luckily I'm only missing a chunk of nail.
The meatloaf recipe calls for McIntosh or Gala apples, but I opted to use Honeycrisp. This is purely because they looked so appetizing in the store, and thye didn't let me down. They worked perfectly in the meatloaf, and complimented the turkey quite nicely.
I'm not usually a savory fan, but I will definitely make this dish again. It was nice to have a change, and to have a lighter/healthier meatloaf. Beef meatloaf can be very heavy and dense.
The Cider Gravy was the perfect compliment. The only difficulty I had was thickening the gravy. I kept adding more and more flour, but it still ended up pretty thin.
In all, I give the Turkey and Stuffing Meatloaf 3.5 out of 5 stars, and the same for the Cider Gravy.
I'm thinking Ravioli Lasagna for next weeks new dish. But I reserve the right to change my mind ;)
-Anna
looks yummy, and I don't like meatloaf!
ReplyDeleteI think cornstarch is supposed to work well for thickening gravy.