Nothing seems to run smoothly with this kitchen remodel process, but all we can do is move forward.
This week we installed more flooring and were supposed to have a fully functional kitchen by today. Unfortunately, the counter top contractors could only put some of our pieces in. They say our peninsula cabinets are not level, while our general contractor double, and triple checked that they are. Next Thursday we'll have both contractors meet and do some problem solving. Currently the counter won't even touch the cabinets when matched up with the seam of the adjoining counter top :/
The other issue is plumbing. Our sink can't be installed until the counter top is, and we found our drain pipe is too high for the new sink and garbage disposal. Instead of living without a disposal (I just can't go back, since we had one before), we're paying for a plumber to come in next week and lower the pipe. Then Brent can hook everything up.
The good news is... we have a STOVE! Brent and I carried it in from the garage on Thursday, and last night he hard wired it back in. It took an hour to get the wiring to fit just right, but my talented and amazing husband saved us $70 by hooking it up himself :)
Our dishwasher also has to wait. Not only do we need the plumbing done first, but also the counter top has to be fully attached before we can bring it back in from the garage.
In the mean time, I was given the green flag to fill our cabinets and drawers. Some things may have to be moved before the final counter top install, but I was happy to keep things moving. It took me all day yesterday, but things are now organized and in their places. Now we just need shelves in the pantry so I can get those items in.
Here are photos of the progress:
 |
| The new floor runs from our garage entrance, through the entry, dining area, and kitchen. We have some small areas that still needs flooring cut and installed, but the floor is done for the most part. We also are having issues with our transition pieces between the laminate and carpet. It isn't fitting right and will need some problem solving. |
 |
| Sorry this picture of the dining room is dark. We haven't installed the light yet. Brent needs to crawl up in the attic again to install the box. |
 |
| The stove is in! The microwave is now fully installed, and the kitchen floor iscomplete. (Currently the heater vent is covered with a piece of taped flooring. We've already lost two balls to the open vents, and I just had to fish a car out of one left uncovered.) |
 |
| All the counter tops you see are just set in place. Nothing has been glued down. Not only is the peninsula piece MIA for now, but we also have back splash coming. |
 |
| I'm so happy to have our pots and pans in a big pull out drawer instead of shoved back in a cupboard. Now I can easily find the pan I need. I also found rubber mats at Ikea, and used these in my drawers to keep things from shifting around. |
 |
| (Photo courtesy Ikea) |
 |
| Liam now has his own drawer where he can reach all of his utensils and dishes. He can help himself, and help mom. (The utensils and dishes are also from Ikea.) |
 |
| No more disorganized Tupperware. I can see what's there, and organized the lids with a pot lid rack from Ikea. |
 |
| (Photo courtesy of Ikea) |
 |
| The adult drink corner :) |
 |
| Vases and large glass items above the fridge. Also cutting boards and oven pans are organized with wire dividers . (The dividers were purchased with the cabinet.) |
 |
| I love tea, and tea pots. Now I finally have a spot to display them. My favorite tea set is the polka dot one by Emma Bridgewater. Brent bought the pot and tea cups for me early in our marriage, and the whole kitchen color scheme is based off of the colors on this tea pot. |
 |
| We no longer have cabinets over the peninsula, so we have far less upper cabinet storage for plates and glasses. Thankfully, the new cabinets are taller and allowed room to put our plates and glasses in one cabinet. |
 |
| The lazy susan is perfect for small appliances. |
 |
| I'm so glad we added this cabinet on the back of the peninsula. I especially like the pull out drawers. |
 |
| We're still working on the flooring in the pantry, and need to install shelves and the door. In the mean time, our essential pantry items are in a box. |
-Anna
It's looking so great - way to go, Bergums!
ReplyDelete