"your child looks really dim. It can't even focus its eyes on anything. maybe you should have it tested for down syndrome"
This comment was left on the video below.
Liam's only about 6 weeks old in this clip, and it's pretty obvious his eyes aren't focusing because he's watching the mobile go around.
Whenever someone insults my child or even my mothering abilities, it makes a very protective part of myself come out. In this case I was saddened that someone would saw something so heartless, and also angry at the ease of their ability to insult my son. I've since gone on my YouTube account and removed their comment, but their words still burn.
I suppose the ability for 'rusbc' to leave such a heartless comment is partially my fault. When I first started posting videos to YouTube, I didn't really know what I was doing. I wanted friends and family to see the videos with ease. Therefore, I thought I had to make them 'public.' After awhile, I learned I could make them 'unlisted' and still have the ability to share them on this blog. Now all of my videos can only be accessed if someone has the link, and all comments have to be approved by me first.
I know in the grand scheme of things that none of this is a big deal, but it's just one of those little parts of my day that effected me.
-Anna
That is AWFUL of them to say, and CLEARLY untrue. Plus, I'm positive that there are thousands of people out there who spend their days just making asinine comments on YouTube videos.
ReplyDeleteBrent said something along the same lines. That people just troll YouTube and right nasty comments.
ReplyDeleteAnna... people write a lot of stuff on the internet. And a lot of it is completely inane. I'm sure you've been on chat boards where folks write things that do not edify nor encourage anyone. Do not let these fools bring you down. In fact, bring yourself satisfaction in the deletion of the comment and consider yourself the one on top. :)
ReplyDeleteI love you, my friend. And stay strong. Don't let the dummies get you down!
I'm angry for you. I know exactly what you're feeling, and I'm so sorry that you even had to deal with that today, or at all.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can put it behind you and know how loved your little Liam is by so many.
Your son looks far from downs.....he doesn't have any facial attributes that look it to me!! And besides.....My eyes do the same thing when I lay on the floor and look at the ceiling fan!!! I would just say that the person was a very uneducated individual who has no class. Don't let the words hurt.....there is absolutely no need for them to....I could see them hurting you if he slightly looked it....but he doesn't.
ReplyDeleteI don't want anyone to think I have a problem with children and adults living with downs. I would love Liam exactly the same if he did have down syndrome. However, it is obvious that the comment left was in malice and was not constructive nor supportive.
ReplyDelete