August 31, 2010

Simple Dijon Chicken

Last night, we ate simple.  I bought some pre-made tortellini and sauce in the fridge section on a whim, but when I went to make it last night I realized we needed to add a dish to it.  There wasn't enough pasta to fill Brent and I.

We needed protein, and all I had on hand was frozen ground turkey and frozen chicken breasts (we rarely eat beef in an effort to eat healthier and more inexpensive proteins).  I grabbed the Betty Crocker cook book and searched for an easy baked chicken recipe.  Thankfully, Betty Crocker didn't let me down and I found a dish that we had most of the ingredients for.  It's called Zesyt Roasted Chicken and Potatoes.  With some modifying- we had no potatoes- I defrosted the chicken and started cooking.

I find the best way to quickly defrost chicken breasts are to put them into a Ziploc bag, then immerse it all in cool water.  Don't do hot water.  For some reason it defrosts faster in cool water.

I then preheated the oven to 350 degrees F.

While the oven was preheating, I combined mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, pepper, and a couple cloves of finely chopped garlic into a small bowl.  The recipe had exact measurements, but I just eyeballed it.

I then put the defrosted chicken breasts in a glass 8x8 inch pan, coated both sides of the chicken in the mayo mixture, and baked it for 30-35 mins.

It was delicious!  Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture until I had almost completed my meal.  I'm sure I'll make it again sometime, and I've renamed it to "Simple Dijon Chicken."  I figured I could rename it since I modified the original recipe ;)

In my previous post, I noted Brent had challenged me to make at least one new dish each week.  Well... this week I'm going to do TWO.  While I was browsing Betty Crocker, I found a Thai-Style Coconut Chicken recipe.  Today I'll buy the ingredients, and I'll make it in the next couple of days.

I love my Betty Crocker cook book.  We've found many great recipes and tips.  My favorite section is the candy.  I purposely don't have all the ingredients for the candies in my cupboard.  If I make them without an occasion to share, then I'll eat them all myself :)

Mmmmm, this post is making me really hungry :)

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.