August 3, 2012

Door Installation

Another couple of busy days of work.  Mostly we worked on repairing the water and mold damage from around our back slider.
Unbeknownst to us, both bottom corners of our slider had been leaking for a long time.  This picture shows we've torn out the damaged particle board, and unfortunately found that several of the floor boards underneath were also disintegrating.

One last look at the old door before we tore it out. (The dogs in the background are Blue and Cinder.  We dog sat a few days for my parents.) 
New Door!  I'm so happy to no longer have to use all my muscle strength to open and close the slider.  The picture also shows that floor boards that our general contractor replaced for us.

Brent and Dad worked diligently at installing the door.  I'm so glad I have handy men in my life.  It saved us over $300 by doing the installation ourselves.  Now the door just needs to be trimmed out.

Earlier this week the electrician installed our new can lights, wired the kitchen for under cabinet lighting, and prepared all the outlets and switches.  The electrician will cost us an exorbitant amount of money, but we passed our inspection with no problem :)

Our general contractor framed out the new pantry.  We decided to wall in the  doorway in order to make room for a walk in pantry.  I'm so excited to finally have plenty of space to store all our dry goods.  I'll be able to stock up more.

You may also notice the colors on the wall.  We've decided to go with the orange/yellow paint on the far right.
I'm loving our new door, and can already feel the temperature difference from the low-e glass.  That will help keep us cooler during this short heat wave, and sealing up the walls will also assist in that.  Contractors are coming to hang drywall today.

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.