February 23, 2012

"Before-and-After"

This past month, our church (First Baptist Church of Beaverton) has been studying a book called "Just Walk Across the Room," by Bill Hybels.  Admittedly, I'm a bit behind on the study, but have really enjoyed the insights I've gleaned from the first half of the book.

Bill Hybels encourages believers to create relationships with those apart from God.  All to often, Christians stay within their comfortable bubble filled with church and other Christians, and don't dare venture outside of it.  Let alone invite anyone else in.

Bill isn't asking us to run to the first stranger we see and immediately attempt conversion, but instead to start a conversation and let God do the rest.  Maybe you'll be led to share your faith story in that one conversation, or maybe it's something that will be shared over time.  Either way, Bill believes it's important to form your faith story before hand.

The best faith stories are less then 100 words.  They begin with your life before Christ, then how things changed after Him.  These stories should be easy to follow, and include no "religionese" (language that only fellow Christians understand).  They also shouldn't include any sense of superiority, or weird God stories.  Stories of how you're sure you saw an angel of the Lord at Starbucks may be true, but isn't necessarily the best way to enter into a conversation about faith with someone.

The goal is to keep it short.  Make it clear and understandable, and allow room for questions afterwards.  There's no need to fill it with tiny details.

Here is my "Before-and-After" story:

I grew up in a Christian home, and became a Christian at a young age.  Unfortunately, I had this idea in my head that God expected me to be perfect.  I tried to have perfect grades, be the perfect daughter, and be perfect in everything I did.  It wasn't until college that God broke down the lies I had been telling myself.  He revealed the most important element of being a Christian is to love Him, everything else will fall into place after that.  I'm grateful God doesn't expect perfection.

(90 words)

What's your "Before-and-After?"

-Anna

1 comment:

  1. Anna... thanks for sharing. It's really meaningful to have a "relevant" conversation with non-Christians and that includes our own personal stories. Thank you for sharing your story. Here's mine:
    I was raised in a Christian home, but it wasn't until my senior year of college when I realized God is bigger than my religion. Religion is a mere vessel in which we attempt to reach our creator and create a connection with him throughout a lifetime of loving and learning. God is big... big enough to love me in spite of myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.