For months I've been brainstorming work I could do from home. Brent and I decided, even before we were married, that I would stay home with our kids and wouldn't put them in daycare. My parents did this for me and my siblings, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
I was working when Liam was born, but thankfully my mom cared for Liam 3 months until I reached my layoff date. Since then I've been collecting unemployment, while searching for opportunities to work from home. The unemployment money that my previous employer has been paying me, has allowed us to get buy. Things are tight, but we've still been able to put some money into savings. Well... things are about to get tighter since my benefit extensions are set to exhaust at the end of the year. Therefore, I'm more fervent than ever to find work from home.
I've looked at and applied to jobs that allow me to work from home, but never received a call back. I also thought about making a selling my amazing truffles or caramels, but then reminded myself that I don't enjoy spending much time in our drab kitchen, and despise dishes. I even attempted to interest friends in child care opportunities. Offering to take on 1 or 2 young ones, and reaching middle grown on a payment. However, that also has not panned out.
So... 2012 is drawing near, and I'm still jobless. But, I now have a new business idea I'm working on... greeting cards.
Since being unemployed, I've had a substantially larger amount of time at home. I use this time to care for Liam and our home, of course, but I also like doing fun projects while Liam is napping. One of those has been to create greeting cards for family whenever the occasion arises. I've had so much positive feedback on these cards, and encouragement to sell them, that I've finally decided to give it a shot. Even the woman at the unemployment office thought it was a good idea.
Currently, I'm buying supplies, and making a stockpile of cards to start selling. I need an inventory of items to display and sell before I can get started, but soon I'll have my little shop set up on etsy.com. I've already named my creations DramaticDelights, but have not yet paid for my URL.
Here's a preview of what I'll be selling, and I'll let my readers know when my 'shop' is open and ready. Be on the lookout :)
I like this design so much, that I think I'm going to frame a couple. I won't only be doing trees, but this is my initial idea, and is fitting for fall.
Let me know what you think?
-Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.