August 4, 2011

Toilet Time

Liam has yet to potty in his toilet, but he has developed an interest in sitting on his toilet.  We keep his potty in our master bath with a basket of books nearby.  Lately I find him walking in there, lifting his toilet seat, and sitting on it fully clothed as he reads books.


He likes sitting just like Mommy and Daddy :)
 More and more I've been taking his diaper and pants off and letting him sit on the potty.  We read books, and I always praise him for sitting on the potty.  Someday he'll actually "do his business," and get a special yummy reward.

Liam loves acting like a big boy :)
 Liam has also improved at communicating.  The only sign language he knows is "please," but he can also shake his head "yes" and "no."  Usually I can guess what he wants and I'll simply ask him.  He'll then tell me yes or no.

Liam may not be able to say the word for many everyday things, but he knows what they are.  Such as ear, nose (he finally got this one recently), kitty, doggy, milk, banana, yogurt, and much much more.

Liam can say "ma ma," "dad-ee" (daddy), "kit-ee" (kitty), "ow" (meow), "bus," and calls grandma "ya ya."

He's also become more affectionate.  Often he'll hug my legs, and depending on his mood he'll give kisses when asked.  They're open mouth baby kisses, but I love them :)

Liam's also increased in some bad habits.  Such as hitting when he doesn't get his way, banging his head on things when he has a tantrum, and throwing himself on the floor.

Thankfully, it seems to take only one warning of "be gentle" to get him to stop hitting, but the tantrums require a lot of patience on my part.  And a lot of ignoring him.  I see more time outs in his future.

Raising a toddler is an adventure, but I try to dwell on the good times more than the bad.  Liam's a good kid.  He's just energetic, curious, and sometimes doesn't know how to communicate in a polite way.

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.