This past weekend, I headed to Eugene for a friend's bridal shower. Brent and Liam stayed home, while I spent a full 24 hours without my boys. I enjoyed not having to cart Liam's stuff around, and trying to appease him while visiting with friends and family, but I missed both my boys terribly.
The shower was fun. I got to reminisce with college friends, and relax a little. (Usually Liam's keeping me pretty busy.) There was lots of laughter, memories, and assurance that our friendships are still strong. We can be apart for months, even years, but we still know what jokes to crack and what reactions we will get out of each other. Old friends are so reliable :)
After the shower, I headed to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner and a visit before heading back out with friends. I've always been directionally challenged, and even with the GPS, I was lot for about 20 minutes trying to find their house. Thankfully, after a couple phone calls to my aunt, I made it. We had a nice visit, then it was off to McMenamins North Bank for drinks and an evening snack. North Bank was always a popular gathering spot for us. The food is good, atmosphere is cozy, and the company is fantastic.
We shared more stories. Laughed until we nearly cried, and the ex Virtue (performance singing group at NCU) friends did a quick pose similar to the same one done years ago.
It soon became late (11pm is late for me these days), and we all headed our separate ways after much hugging. I went back to my aunt and uncle's house to sleep, and started my journey home the next day. On the way out of town, I first stopped at the NCU (Northwest Christian University) campus. Everything was locked up for the weekend, but a quick walk around campus was all I needed. I was flooded with memories. Playing capture the flag my first night on campus. Sunning myself along with friends in the courtyard. Throwing snowballs in that same courtyard. Skipping Chapel for an afternoon tea with friends. Dating and falling in love with Brent. Staying in small living quarters, but not minding because my friends were near. Staying up late in the commons room and having movie marathons. And, eventually graduating, packing up, and moving back to Portland with my new husband in tow.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to those days, but then I remember they were just a stepping stone in my life. My friends, classes, and professors all influenced and shaped who I am today. I'm stronger because of them, and can't imagine a life without them. The old memories are fun to reminisce about, but I also love the new ones. Buying a home. Finding a new church. The whole experience of pregnancy, and having my son. Instead of my days being filled with friends/family. They're now filled with family/friends. My friends became my family in college, and now that I'm near my family, they've become my friends. I love seeing my mom, sister, and dad every week. And most every Sunday is filled with spending the day with Brent's aunt, uncle, cousins, and all their families. I have great friendships with all of them.
| Liam, Dad, Mom, and Rebecca (sister) |
![]() |
| Easter 2009 with the Bergum family. It's hard to believe the group has grown by two more since then. |
I thank the Lord for the great memories I have, and new ones I am constantly forming.
-Anna

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.