There were some definite pros and cons to the whole experience. To get started I understandably had to create an account on Safeway's website. It required name, address, phone number, email address, and Safeway club number. I then waited about 2 minutes for my confirmation email and began shopping. The virtual grocery store was surprisingly easy to navigate. I could choose to shop by aisle, then by products, then by shelf... or I could simply type in my search. I was pleased to find it possible to even order meat from the deli counter.
(Unfortunately, all pictures for this blog post were lost)
I was able to easily compare brands, sizes, and prices. One such example was cream cheese.
I even had the ability to look closer at the product, and read the nutritional information just by clicking on the "more info" link.
Safeway.com had an easy tool for shoppers who frequent the site. By clicking the "Express List" tab, shoppers can save a standard shopping list, and start with that whenever they shop online.
There were a couple items on my grocery list that I didn't purchase online. I couldn't find any clover sprouts. I know Safeway carries them because I often buy them for my sandwiches. Also, I felt the broccoli variety was sparse, and seemed more expensive then the brick and mortar store.
In addition, the brick and mortar store didn't carry any clover sprouts either. I spoke with a grocer in the produce section, and he indicated that all the clover sprouts had been pulled from their shelves due to a salmonella scare. The only thing they still had was a couple packages of alfalfa sprouts. I purchased those instead.
While shopping online, I found it frustrating that I couldn't use any of my manufacture coupons, or other Safeway coupons that had arrived in the paper. The only option is to use their promotional codes which are exclusively for online use. These are found under the "Online Savings" tab.
There were some good deals under this tab. For example: Spaghetti sauce was on my grocery list. By purchasing 2 Prego sauces of my choice, I was able to choose a Safeway brand pasta for free.
When I had finished shopping, I choose a delivery date and time. There is a possibility for same day delivery, but shopping has to be complete by 8:30am... I believe. Also, the delivery prices vary. $6.95 for a 4 hour window, $9.95 for a 2 hour, and $12.95 for a 1 hour window. I choose a 2 hour window for tomorrow as I could get that for free. (First online shopping order = free delivery)
Next I tried to start the payment transaction, unfortunately I had not spent enough. Apparently, there is a $50 minimum purchase, and I was at $47.50. So... I started shopping again and added a couple bottles of juice to my order. (There were no beers I like on sale ;) )
My total finally came to $52.05. I continued my checkout process, and entered my promotional codes. "EASY7" for free delievery, "PREGO" for my 'buy 2 Prego get pasta free' deal, and "SHARE15" for $15.00 off my order. I then got to look at my purchases one more time, and was surprised to find I may not get what I ordered.
This substitutions page basically said if they don't have the item in stock, they'll make a substitution. I could then tick off guidelines for substitutions for each item. Either, "same brand, different size," "same size, different brand," or "no substitutions."
Next came the final page. The estimated price came to $35.10 after my promotional codes. I entered my credit card information, and was a little worried that my order may not go through. The fine print below not only indicated this is an estimate, but there will also be an additional gas charge, and orders should be $50 or more, even after discounts. If not, the email confirmation may indicate my order did not go through.
I did get an email confirmation indicating my order was processed. However, I noticed an issue. My email confirmation indicated my order was $50.10 and not the $35.10 I was previously quoted. After scrolling through the email, I found that only my "PREGO" promo code was included. My $15.00 off code had not been applied. I contacted Safeway customer service, and found this is a known issue. There's a glitch with the email confirmation system. The customer service woman was kind and assured me the other promo codes would still be applied. I can verify everything at delivery.
Tomorrow I'll write a follow up after I receive my delivery, but I don't think I'll be making this a regular habit. I did like the ease of it all. I was able to shop while Liam slept, and the whole thing took me an hour. That's from writing my grocery list, to finishing my conversation with customer service. I'm sure future "online shopping trips" would take even less time, as I now know the process and have an account.
I liked the fact that impulse shopping was reduced. I didn't have fancy signs and advertisements to distract me, and I also liked that a running total of my purchases was at the top of the screen. It was very easy to stay on track, and keep my spending from getting too high.
I really didn't like the limit to my savings. I'm a coupon shopper, and was disappointed that I couldn't use all the coupons I clip. Thankfully, I was still able to get club card discounts, and those promo codes made the whole thing possible. This weeks paper included a Safeway coupon for $10 off when you spend $50 or more. I did get $15 off my total online purchase, but I may have been able to save even more in store. The clerks in the brick and mortar store will take $10 off before ringing up all your other coupons.
-Anna








Very informative! Thank you Anna. I have often wanted to try this since I don't drive especially on rainy, snowy or even lazy days I would not like to walk to the store haha. I will be giving this a try thanks to your great post. :-)
ReplyDelete