May 30, 2011

Money Saving Monday: Diapers

Today marks the start of a new weekly series, called "Money Saving Monday."  These posts will include deals I find, web sites I use, and other tips on keeping costs down.

Most of my money saving techniques come out of necessity, but even if we were millionaires, I'd still use coupons.  There's no need to waste money.

I'm thankful for the what the Lord has blessed us with, and we try to be good stewards of our finances.  This allows us go on family trips, occasionally see a movie, save up for future expenses, pay off debt faster, and give at least 10% of our income to the church.

We've yet to save up enough to remodel our broken down kitchen, but we're working on it :)

*****
My tip today is diaper savings.  Some choose to go the cloth diaper route, but I've found disposable works best us.

I used to go to Target each week to stock up on diapers, but now I shop once every couple of months from the comfort of my own home.

Amazon allows me to get free shipping, and save 30% on diapers.  Sure, it takes a little time to set up, but once you've started, it just takes a couple clicks.

The first step is to start an Amazon account.  You'll need to provide your address, email, and credit card info.  I know many don't like sharing all that info, but in order to buy online you've got to use a credit card or PayPal account.

Second, sign up with Amazon Mom.  This immediately gives you a 15% savings on diapers, wipes, and alike.

Third, start a free Amazon Prime account (this is done in tandem with the Amazon Mom sign up).  Once you've signed up with Amazon Mom, you're eligible for a free 3 month trial with Amazon Prime.  Amazon Prime allows you to get free 2 day shipping on most Amazon items.  Not only can you use it on diapers, but I've also used it on movies, windshield wipers, a cake pan, and party supplies.

Amazon Prime normally costs about $70 annually, but this trial will let you get the membership up to a year for free. Whenever I spend $25 on baby items, my membership is extended another month.  I've been utilizing my free Prime benefits since October, 2010.

(If your free trial exhausts, Amazon will charge you the annual membership fee.  However, it is possible to turn this functionality off.  I have my account set to simply expire the Prime membership and not to charge me.)

The fourth step is to shop.  Simply find the diapers you want, whether they're Luvs, Pampers, or Huggies.  However, before adding the baby item to your cart, use the "Subscribe & Save" feature on the right hand part of the page.  Even if you don't want the same diapers charged and mailed to you every 1, 2, 3, or 6 months, you can get the subscription discount and cancel later.  This is how I always do it.  There are no penalties for canceling.

Now all you have to do is wait.  In 2 days your box of diapers will arrive at your doorstep. (Sadly there has been a recent change.  When using the "Subscribe and Save" function you still get the discount, but no longer the 2 day shipping.  Shipping remains free, but it is standard.  Just make sure to order ahead of time since it will take 3-5 business days.)  Instead of using gas and spending about $0.18 a diaper at Target for Luvs.

96 diapers for $16.99 at Target.

You get a huge box of diapers at $0.13 per diaper with Amazon's "Subscribe & Save" function.

204 diapers for $26.59 on Amazon.  Plus free shipping.

Now you know my secret.  Sure, with coupons I was able to save a $1.00 on average for what I bought at Target, but that still came to $0.16 diapers.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I'm more than happy to help you save money for your family too.

-Anna



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We enjoy receiving input on our blog.